Thursday, April 26, 2007

"Amazing Grace"

Glen and I recently went to see the movie "Amazing Grace". It was so inspiring! The movie is based on the life of antislavery pioneer William Wilberforce. It took some effort to find it here in Vancouver. I find it interesting that so few theaters will show it. It had me thinking about his life for days. He thought he wanted to be a pastor or a monk even like his buddy and mentor John Newton—the former-slave-trader-turned-clergyman that we know today as the guy who wrote the amazing song "Amazing Grace". Newton challenged him to stay where he was (in politics) and serve God there. It was hard - really hard - but he persevered and changed history. I read an article on Wilberforce that you can check out if you are interested. I found it at http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/2007/001/1.40.html.
So often we think we need to be a pastor or a "missionary" to REALLY serve God. I used to think that. But as we have walked down this road with our Lord, I am seeing more and more that this is just not the case. God uses us where ever we are - no matter what we do, if we will just tune into Him. He has His people sprinkled all thru out every facet of life - we are to be lights where ever we are.
So ya - go see the movie - or buy it if they are not showing it where you live. I really believe you will be inspired as well.
Hugs!

No comments: